frieze(redirected from Friezes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Ionic order entablature
1. A plain or decorated horizontal part of an entablature between the architrave and cornice.
2. A decorative horizontal band, as along the upper part of a wall in a room.
[French frise, from Medieval Latin frisium, frigium, embroidery, from Latin Phrygium (opus), Phrygian (work), from Phrygia.]
1. A coarse, shaggy woolen cloth with an uncut nap.
2. A dense, low-pile surface, as in carpeting, resembling such cloth. In both senses also called frisé.
[Middle English frise, from Old French, from Medieval Latin (pannī) frīsiī, woolen (garments), from pl. of Frīsius, Frisian.]
1. (Architecture) architect
a. the horizontal band between the architrave and cornice of a classical entablature, esp one that is decorated with sculpture
b. the upper part of the wall of a room, below the cornice, esp one that is decorated
2. (Art Terms) any ornamental band or strip on a wall
[C16: from French frise, perhaps from Medieval Latin frisium, changed from Latin Phrygium Phrygian (work), from Phrygia Phrygia, famous for embroidery in gold]
(Textiles) a heavy woollen fabric with a long nap, used for coats, etc
[C15: from Old French frise, from Middle Dutch friese, vriese, perhaps from Vriese Frisian]
1. the part of an entablature in classical architecture between the architrave and the cornice, often decorated with sculpture in low relief.
2. a decorative, often carved band, as near the top of a wall or piece of furniture.
[1555–65; < Middle French frise]
1. a heavy, napped woolen cloth for coats.
2. a heavy fabric with uncut pile loops, made of wool, mohair, cotton, or synthetic fibers.
[1350–1400; Middle English frise < Old French; see frieze1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||frieze - an architectural ornament consisting of a horizontal sculptured band between the architrave and the cornice|
architectural ornament - (architecture) something added to a building to improve its appearance
entablature - (architecture) the structure consisting of the part of a classical temple above the columns between a capital and the roof
|2.||frieze - a heavy woolen fabric with a long nap|
frieze[friːz] n (Archit) → fregio
a narrow strip around the walls of a room, building etc near the top, usually decorated with pictures, carving etc. The walls were decorated with a frieze of horses. friesrand إِفْريز фриз friso vlys der Fries frise διάζωμαfriso friis گچکاری برجسته در سرتاسر زیر سقف friisi frise כַּרכּוֹב מְקוּשָׁט दिवार के बॉर्डर पर चित्र friz szegélyléc dekorasi pada dinding myndræma fregio 帯状彫刻装飾 바람벽 위쪽의 장식띠, 프리즈 장식 frizas frīze hiasan pada dinding fries frise fryz دتعميراتو نقش او نګار: جالۍ چه داډول نقش ولرى friso friză фриз, бордюр vlys friz ukrasna ivica fris บัวหรือลายสลักบนเสา, ใต้ชายคา, เสา หรือผนัง duvar süsü, friz 橫飾帶，帶狀裝飾 фриз; бордюр سر ستون کا وہ آرائشی حصہ جو بالائی سل اور کارنس کے درمیان ہوتا ہے diềm trang trí 壁缘，横饰带