Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Fula: fila, FUPA, Fula people
Fu·la·ni(fo͞o′lä′nē, fo͞o-lä′-) also Fu·la (fo͞o′lə)
n. pl. Fulani or Fu·la·nis also Fula or Fu·las
1. A member of a pastoral, largely Muslim people inhabiting parts of West Africa from northern Nigeria to Mali and the Atlantic coast.
2. The Atlantic language of this people, widely used as a lingua franca in West Africa.
npl -la, -las, -lah or -lahs
1. (Peoples) a member of a pastoral nomadic people of W and central Africa, living chiefly in the sub-Sahara region from Senegal to N Cameroon: a racial mixture of light-skinned Berber peoples of the North and darker-skinned W Africans
2. (Languages) the language of this people; Fulani
Fu•la•ni(ˈfu lɑ ni, fʊˈlɑ-)
n., pl. -nis, (esp. collectively) -ni.
1. a member of a traditionally pastoral African people living in communities between the Sahara and the forest zone from Senegal and Mauritania E to Cameroon and Chad.
2. the West Atlantic language of the Fulani.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Fula - a member of a pastoral and nomadic people of western Africa; they are traditionally cattle herders of Muslim faith|
African - a native or inhabitant of Africa
|2.||Fula - a family of languages of the Fulani of West Africa and used as a lingua franca in the sub-Saharan regions from Senegal to Chad; the best known of the West African languages|
West African - a group of languages spoken in the extreme western part of West Africa