Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A ruffle or flounce on a garment.
2. A piece of showy ornamentation.
tr.v. fur·be·lowed, fur·be·low·ing, fur·be·lows
To decorate with a ruffle or flounce.
[Probably alteration of Provençal farbello, farbella, fringe, perhaps alteration of Italian faldella, pleat, diminutive of falda, flap, loose end, of Germanic origin; see pel-2 in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a flounce, ruffle, or other ornamental trim
2. (often plural) showy ornamentation
(tr) to put a furbelow on (a garment)
[C18: by folk etymology from French dialect farbella; see falbala]
1. a ruffle or flounce.
2. any bit of showy trimming or finery.v.t.
3. to ornament with or as if with furbelows.
[1670–80; alter. of falbala < French]
Past participle: furbelowed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||furbelow - a strip of pleated material used as a decoration or a trim|
adornment - a decoration of color or interest that is added to relieve plainness
jabot - a ruffle on the front of a woman's blouse or a man's shirt
peplum - a flared ruffle attached to the waistline of a dress or jacket or blouse