fuchsia(redirected from Fuscia)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Fuscia: colors
1. Any of various tropical shrubs or trees of the genus Fuchsia, widely cultivated for their showy, drooping, purplish, reddish, or white flowers.
2. A strong, vivid purplish red.
[New Latin Fuchsia, genus name, after Leonhard Fuchs (1501-1566), German botanist.]
1. (Plants) any onagraceous shrub of the mostly tropical genus Fuchsia, widely cultivated for their showy drooping purple, red, or white flowers
2. (Plants) Also called: California fuchsia a North American onagraceous plant, Zauschneria californica, with tubular scarlet flowers
a. a reddish-purple to purplish-pink colour
b. (as adjective): a fuchsia dress.
[C18: from New Latin, named after Leonhard Fuchs (1501–66), German botanist]
n., pl -sias.
1. any shrubby plant of the genus Fuchsia, of the evening primrose family, with pink to purplish drooping flowers.
2. a bright purplish red color.adj.
3. of the color fuchsia: a fuchsia dress.
[1745–55; < New Latin; after Leonhard Fuchs (1501–66), German botanist; see -ia]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fuchsia - any of various tropical shrubs widely cultivated for their showy drooping purplish or reddish or white flowers; Central and South America and New Zealand and Tahiti|
genus Fuchsia - large genus of decorative tropical shrubs with pendulous tetramerous flowers
Fuchsia coccinea, ladies'-eardrop, ladies'-eardrops, lady's-eardrop, lady's-eardrops - erect or climbing shrub of Brazil with deep pink to red flowers
Fuchsia excorticata, konini, native fuchsia, tree fuchsia - erect deciduous shrub or tree to 10 feet with maroon flowers; New Zealand