gadfly(redirected from Gadflies)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. A persistent irritating critic; a nuisance.
2. One that acts as a provocative stimulus; a goad.
3. Any of various flies, especially a warble fly, botfly, or horsefly, that bite or annoy livestock and other animals.
n, pl -flies
1. (Animals) any of various large dipterous flies, esp the horsefly, that annoy livestock by sucking their blood
2. a constantly irritating or harassing person
[C16: from gad2 (sting) + fly2]
n., pl. -flies.
1. any of various flies, as a horsefly or warble fly, that bite or annoy livestock.
2. a person who persistently annoys or stirs up others, esp. with provocative criticism.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gadfly - a persistently annoying person|
|2.||gadfly - any of various large flies that annoy livestock|
fly - two-winged insects characterized by active flight
botfly - stout-bodied hairy dipterous fly whose larvae are parasites on humans and other mammals
warble fly - hairy bee-like fly whose larvae produce lumpy abscesses (warbles) under the skin of cattle