Galway(redirected from Galway (city))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A city of west-central Ireland on Galway Bay, an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean. Galway was incorporated in the late 1300s and is today an important industrial and tourist center.
1. (Placename) a county of W Republic of Ireland, in S Connacht, on Galway Bay and the Atlantic: it has a deeply indented coastline and many offshore islands, including the Aran Islands. County town: Galway. Pop: 209 077 (2002). Area: 5939 sq km (2293 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a port in W Republic of Ireland, county town of Co Galway, on Galway Bay: important fisheries (esp for salmon). Pop: 66 163 (2002)
3. (Breeds) a breed of sheep with long wool, originally from W Ireland. Former name: Roscommon
1. a county in S Connaught, in W Republic of Ireland. 171,836; 2293 sq. mi. (5940 sq. km).
2. its county seat: a seaport in the W part. 47,104.