gamma(redirected from Gamma (letter))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. The third letter of the Greek alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
2. The third item in a series or system of classification.
3. A unit of magnetic intensity equal to one hundred thousandth (10-5) of an oersted.
4. A unit of mass equal to one millionth (10-6) of a gram.
1. Being in the third position relative to a designated carbon atom in an organic molecule at which an atom or a group may be substituted.
2. Referring to the third of a group of isomers, or molecules of similar origin or properties, determined arbitrarily by those who discover or classify them. Used in combination.
1. (Letters of the Alphabet (Foreign)) the third letter in the Greek alphabet (Γ, γ), a consonant, transliterated as g. When double, it is transcribed and pronounced as ng
2. (Education) the third highest grade or mark, as in an examination
3. (Units) a unit of magnetic field strength equal to 10–5 oersted. 1 gamma is equivalent to 0.795 775 × 10–3 ampere per metre
4. (Photography) photog television the numerical value of the slope of the characteristic curve of a photographic emulsion or television camera; a measure of the contrast reproduced in a photographic or television image
5. (Electronics) photog television the numerical value of the slope of the characteristic curve of a photographic emulsion or television camera; a measure of the contrast reproduced in a photographic or television image
6. (Atomic Physics) involving or relating to photons of very high energy: a gamma detector.
7. (Chemistry) relating to one of two or more allotropes or crystal structures of a solid: gamma iron.
8. (Chemistry) relating to one of two or more isomeric forms of a chemical compound, esp one in which a group is attached to the carbon atom next but one to the atom to which the principal group is attached
[C14: from Greek; related to Hebrew gīmel third letter of the Hebrew alphabet (probably: camel)]
(Astronomy) (foll by the genitive case of a specified constellation) the third brightest star in a constellation: Gamma Leonis.
n., pl. -mas.
1. the third letter of the Greek alphabet (Ɣ, γ).
2. the third in a series of items.
3. (cap.) a star that is usu. the third brightest of a constellation.
4. a unit of weight equal to one microgram.
5. a unit of magnetic field strength, equal to 10−5 gauss.
6. a measure of the degree of development of a photographic negative or print.
[< Greek gámma]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gamma - the 3rd letter of the Greek alphabet|
Greek alphabet - the alphabet used by ancient Greeks
|2.||gamma - a unit of magnetic field strength equal to one-hundred-thousandth of an oersted|
field strength unit - an electromagnetic unit of magnetic intensity
oersted - the magnetic field strength 1 cm from a unit magnetic pole
|3.||Gamma - Portuguese navigator who led an expedition around the Cape of Good Hope in 1497; he sighted and named Natal on Christmas Day before crossing the Indian Ocean (1469-1524)|
gamma[ˈgæmə] n → gamma m or f
gamma(ˈgӕmə) : gamma rays
a powerful form of radiation. gamma أشِعَّة جَمّا вид радиационни лъчи gama záření gama das Gamma, Gamma-... gamma ακτίνες γάμα gama, rayos gama gammakiired گاما gammasäteily rayons gamma קֶרֶן גָאמָה एक शक्तिशाली रेडियोधर्मी विकिरण gama zrake gamma-sugárzás sinar gamma gammageislar raggi gamma ガンマ線 감마선 gama spinduliai gamma stari gama gamma- gammastråler promienie gamma وړانګى اچونه، پړ كيدنه، بريښدنه، ځلونه gama raze gama гамма-лучи gama lúče gama žarki gama gamma: gammastrålar รังสีแกมมา gama ışınları 伽瑪射線 гамма-проміння بہت تیز برقناطیسی اشعاع tia gama 伽马