Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A place or state of torment or suffering.
2. The abode of condemned souls; hell.
1. (Bible) Old Testament the valley below Jerusalem, where children were sacrificed and where idolatry was practised (II Kings 23:10; Jeremiah 19:6) and where later offal and refuse were slowly burned
2. (Bible) New Testament Judaism a place where the wicked are punished after death
3. a place or state of pain and torment
[C16: from Late Latin, from Greek Geena, from Hebrew Gê' Hinnōm, literally: valley of Hinnom, symbolic of hell]
1. the valley of Hinnom, near Jerusalem, where propitiatory sacrifices were made to Moloch. II Kings 23:10.
3. any place of extreme torment or suffering.
[< Late Latin < Greek Géenna < Hebrew Gē-Hinnōm hell, short for gē ben Hinnōm literally, valley of the son of Hinnom]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Gehenna - a place where the wicked are punished after death|
infernal region, nether region, perdition, Inferno, Hell, pit - (Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil; where sinners suffer eternal punishment; "Hurl'd headlong...To bottomless perdition, there to dwell"- John Milton; "a demon from the depths of the pit"; "Hell is paved with good intentions"-Dr. Johnson