geneva(redirected from Geneva (Geneva))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
A city of southwest Switzerland located on Lake Geneva and bisected by the Rhone River. Originally an ancient Celtic settlement, it was a focal point of the Reformation after the arrival of John Calvin in 1536. Geneva was the headquarters of the League of Nations (1920-1946) and is still the site of many international organizations.
1. (Placename) a city in SW Switzerland, in the Rhône valley on Lake Geneva: centre of Calvinism; headquarters of the International Red Cross (1864), the International Labour Office (1925), the League of Nations (1929–46), the World Health Organization, and the European office of the United Nations; banking centre. Pop: 177 500 (2002 est)
2. (Placename) a canton in SW Switzerland. Capital: Geneva. Pop: 419 300 (2002 est). Area: 282 sq km (109 sq miles). French name: Genève German name: Genf
3. (Placename) Lake Geneva a lake between SW Switzerland and E France: fed and drained by the River Rhône, it is the largest of the Alpine lakes; the surface is subject to considerable changes of level. Area: 580 sq km (224 sq miles). French name: Lac Léman German name: Genfersee
[1700–10; < Dutch genever < Old French genevre < Latin jūniperus juniper]
1. the capital of the canton of Geneva, in SW Switzerland, on the Lake of Geneva: seat of the League of Nations 1920–46. 167,697.
2. a canton in SW Switzerland. 395,466; 109 sq. mi. (282 sq. km).
3. Lake of. Also called Lake Leman. a lake between SW Switzerland and France. 45 mi. (72 km) long; 225 sq. mi. (583 sq. km).French, Genève (for defs. 1,2). German, Genf (for defs. 1,2).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Geneva - a city in southwestern Switzerland at the western end of Lake Geneva; it is the headquarters of various international organizations|
Schweiz, Suisse, Svizzera, Swiss Confederation, Switzerland - a landlocked federal republic in central Europe
Genevan - a native or resident of Geneva
|2.||geneva - gin made in the Netherlands|
gin - strong liquor flavored with juniper berries