Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. also George Town The capital of the Cayman Islands, on Grand Cayman in the West Indies west of Jamaica. It is an international banking center.
2. The capital and largest city of Guyana, in the northern part of the country on the Atlantic Ocean. Founded by the British in 1781, it was called Stabroek while it was controlled by the Dutch and was renamed Georgetown in 1812.
3. A section of western Washington, DC, on the Potomac River. One of the original towns of the District of Columbia, it is known for its fashionable old houses and for Georgetown University (established 1789).
(Placename) the capital and chief port of Guyana, at the mouth of the Demerara River: became capital of the Dutch colonies of Essequibo and Demerara in 1784; seat of the University of Guyana. Pop: 237 000 (2005 est). Former name (until 1812): Stabroek
1. Also, George′ Town`. the capital of the state of Penang, in NW Malaysia. 250,578.
2. the capital of Guyana, at the mouth of the Demerara. 182,000.
3. a residential section in the District of Columbia.
4. the capital of the Cayman Islands, West Indies, on Grand Cayman. 12,000.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Georgetown - a section of northwestern Washington, D.C.|
|2.||Georgetown - port city and the capital and largest city of Guyana; "the city was called Stabroek by the Dutch but was renamed Georgetown by the British in 1812"|