Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An attitude, custom, or feature that seems characteristically German.
2. A linguistic feature of German, especially a German idiom or phrasing that appears in a language other than German.
3. Esteem for Germany and emulation of German ways.
1. (Linguistics) a word or idiom borrowed from or modelled on German
2. a German custom, trait, practice, etc
3. attachment to or high regard for German customs, institutions, etc
Ger•man•ism(ˈdʒɜr məˌnɪz əm)
1. a German usage, idiom, etc., occurring in another language.
2. a custom, manner, mode of thought, etc., characteristic of the German people.
3. extreme partiality for or attachment to Germany or German culture.
a feature of the German language that is present in another language.See also: Germany
a German loanword in English, as gemütlich. Also called Teutonism, Teutonicism.See also: Language