Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
An enlisted person in or a veteran of any of the US armed forces, especially a person enlisted in the army.
1. Relating to or characteristic of an enlisted person.
2. Conforming to or in accordance with US military regulations or procedures.
3. Issued by an official US military supply department.
[From abbreviation of galvanized iron (applied to trash cans, etc.), later reinterpreted as government issue.]
1. galvanized iron
3. general issue
4. Government Issue
gill (liquid measure)
(Judo & Karate) a loose-fitting white suit worn in judo, karate, and other martial arts: a karate gi.
[from Japanese -gi costume, from ki to wear]
the internet domain name for
(Computer Science) Gibraltar
n pl GIs or GI's
(Military) a soldier in the US Army, esp an enlisted man
(Military) conforming to US Army regulations; of standard government issue
[C20: abbrev. of government issue]
1. (Medicine) gastrointestinal
2. (Medicine) glycaemic index
n., pl. GIs GI's or G.I.'s, n.
1. a member or former member of the U.S. armed forces, esp. an enlisted soldier.adj.
2. rigidly adhering to military regulations and practices.
3. of a standardized type issued or required by the U.S. armed forces: GI shoes; a GI haircut.v.t.
4. to clean in preparation for inspection: to GI the barracks.
[1915–20; orig. abbr. of galvanized iron, used in U.S. Army bookkeeping in entering articles (e.g., trash cans) made of it; later extended to all articles issued (as an assumed abbr. of government issue) and finally to soldiers themselves]
1. galvanized iron.
3. general issue.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Gi - a unit of magnetomotive force equal to 0.7958 ampere-turns|
magnetomotive force unit - a unit of measurement of magnetomotive force
|Verb||1.||GI - clean in preparation for inspection; "the soldiers GIed the barracks"|
|Adj.||1.||GI - of or relating to the stomach and intestines; "a gastrointestinal disorder"|
GI[ˌdʒiːˈaɪ] n abbr (US) (=government issue) soldat de l'armée américaine → GI m
GI(US) abbr of government issue
n → GI m, → US-Soldat m
adj attr → GI-; GI uniform → GI-Uniform f