albatross(redirected from Giant Albatross)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Giant Albatross: Diomedeidae
n. pl. albatross or al·ba·tross·es
1. Any of several large web-footed birds constituting the family Diomedeidae, chiefly of the oceans of the Southern Hemisphere, and having a hooked beak and long narrow wings.
a. A source of worry or distress.
b. An obstacle to success. See Synonyms at burden.
[Probably alteration (influenced by Latin albus, white) of alcatras, pelican, from Portuguese or Spanish alcatraz, from Arabic al-ġaṭṭās : al-, the + ġaṭṭās, diver, sea eagle (from ġaṭasa, to plunge, dive; see ġṭs in Semitic roots). Sense 2, after the albatross in "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, which the mariner killed and had to wear around his neck as a penance .]
1. (Animals) any large oceanic bird of the genera Diomedea and Phoebetria, family Diomedeidae, of cool southern oceans: order Procellariiformes (petrels). They have long narrow wings and are noted for a powerful gliding flight. See also wandering albatross
2. a constant and inescapable burden or handicap: an albatross of debt.
3. (Golf) golf a score of three strokes under par for a hole
[C17: from Portuguese alcatraz pelican, from Arabic al-ghattās, from al the + ghattās white-tailed sea eagle; influenced by Latin albus white: C20 in sense 2, from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1798) by Samuel Taylor Coleridge]
al•ba•tross(ˈæl bəˌtrɔs, -ˌtrɒs)
n., pl. -tross•es, (esp. collectively) -tross for 1.
1. Also called gooney bird. any of several large, web-footed, mostly white birds of the family Diomedeidae, of S and tropical oceanic waters, having a large wingspread and able to remain aloft for long periods.
2. a seemingly inescapable moral or emotional burden, as of guilt or responsibility.
3. something burdensome that impedes action or progress.
[1675–85; variant of algatross frigate bird < Portuguese alcatraz pelican]
Three under par for a hole.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||albatross - (figurative) something that hinders or handicaps; "she was an albatross around his neck"|
|2.||albatross - large web-footed birds of the southern hemisphere having long narrow wings; noted for powerful gliding flight|