gin rummy(redirected from Gin (game))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Gin (game): gin rummy
A variety of rummy for two or more persons in which a player may win by matching all his or her cards or may end the game by melding with unmatched cards that add up to ten points or fewer.
(Card Games) a version of rummy in which a player may go out if the odd cards outside his sequences total less than ten points. Often shortened to: gin
[C20: from gin1 + rummy1, apparently from a humorous allusion to gin and rum]
an alcoholic liquor distilled or redistilled with juniper berries, orange peel, or other flavorings.
[1705–15; shortened from geneva]
n., v. ginned, gin•ning. n.
1. cotton gin.
2. a trap or snare for game.
3. a machine employing simple tackle or windlass mechanisms for hoisting.v.t.
4. to clear (cotton) of seeds with a gin.
5. to snare (game).
[1150–1200; < Old French engin engine]
1. Also called gin rummy. a variety of rummy for two players, sometimes played with knocking.
2. a gin hand in which the cards are matched in sets, winning extra points.
[1955–60; perhaps gin1]