trinity(redirected from God, Three Persons of)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. trin·i·ties
1. A group consisting of three closely related members. Also called triunity.
2. Trinity Theology In most Christian faiths, the union of three divine persons, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in one God. Also called Trine.
3. Trinity Trinity Sunday.
[Middle English trinite, from Old French, from Latin trīnitās, from trīnus, trine; see trine.]
n, pl -ties
1. a group of three
2. the state of being threefold
[C13: from Old French trinite, from Late Latin trīnitās, from Latin trīnus triple]
1. (Theology) Christian theol Also called: Holy Trinity or Blessed Trinity the union of three persons, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, in one Godhead
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) See Trinity Sunday
3. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Holy Trinity a religious order founded in 1198
Trin•i•ty(ˈtrɪn ɪ ti)
n., pl. -ties for 2,4.
1. the union of three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Ghost) in one Godhead, or the threefold personality of the one Divine Being.
3. (l.c.) a group of three; triad.
4. (l.c.) the state of being threefold or triple.
Trinityany combination or set of three persons; three things united into one, 1542.
Three persons in one God. The belief that God is three persons—the father, the son who is Jesus, and the Holy Spirit which is the spirit of God’s grace.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||trinity - the cardinal number that is the sum of one and one and one|
3, deuce-ace, III, tercet, ternary, ternion, terzetto, three, threesome, trey, triad, trine, trio, triplet, troika, tierce, leash
|2.||Trinity - the union of the Father and Son and Holy Ghost in one Godhead|
Almighty, Creator, Divine, God Almighty, Godhead, Lord, Maker, Jehovah - terms referring to the Judeo-Christian God
|3.||trinity - three people considered as a unit |
triumvirate - a group of three men responsible for public administration or civil authority
the Trinity → la Trinité