greenhorn(redirected from Greenhornes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. An inexperienced or immature person, especially one who is easily deceived.
2. A newcomer, especially one who is unfamiliar with the ways of a place or group.
[Middle English greene horn, horn of a newly slaughtered animal : grene, green; see green + horn, horn; see horn.]
1. an inexperienced person, esp one who is extremely gullible
2. chiefly US a newcomer or immigrant
[C17: originally an animal with green (that is, young) horns]
1. an inexperienced person.
2. a naive or gullible person.
3. a newly arrived immigrant; newcomer.
[1425–75; orig. applied to cattle with green (i.e., young) horns]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||greenhorn - an awkward and inexperienced youth|