Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Greenwich: Greenwich Mean Time, Greenwich meridian
1. (grĕn′ĭch, grĭn′ĭj) A borough of Greater London in southeast England on the Thames River. It is the site of the original Royal Observatory, through which passes the Prime Meridian, or longitude 0°.
2. (grĕn′ĭch, grĭn′-, grēn′wĭch′) A town of southwest Connecticut on Long Island Sound. Settled in 1640, it is a wealthy suburb of New York City and home to many investment companies.
Greenwich(ˈɡrɪnɪdʒ; -ɪtʃ; ˈɡrɛn-)
(Placename) a Greater London borough on the Thames: site of a Royal Naval College (now used as the National Maritime Museum), including Inigo Jones’ Queen’s House (1617), and of the original Royal Observatory designed by Christopher Wren (1675), accepted internationally as the prime meridian of longitude since 1884, and the basis of Greenwich Mean Time. Pop: 223 700 (2003 est). Area: 46 sq km (18 sq miles)
Green•wich(ˈgrɪn ɪdʒ, -ɪtʃ, ˈgrɛn- for 1, 3; ˈgrɛn ɪtʃ, ˈgrɪn-, ˈgrin wɪtʃ for 2 )
1. a borough in SE London, England: located on the prime meridian from which geographic longitude is measured; formerly the site of the Royal Greenwich Observatory. 216,600.
2. a town in SW Connecticut. 59,578.
3. Informal. Greenwich Time.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Greenwich - a borough of Greater London on the Thames; zero degrees of longitude runs through Greenwich; time is measured relative to Greenwich Mean Time|