Gustavus(redirected from Gustavus (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Gus•ta•vus(gʌˈsteɪ vəs, -ˈstɑ-)
1. Gustavus I, (Gustavus Vasa) 1496–1560, king of Sweden 1523–60.
2. Gustavus II, (Gustavus Adolphus) ( “Lion of the North” ) 1594–1632, king of Sweden 1611–32 (grandson of Gustavus I).
3. Gustavus III, 1746–92, king of Sweden 1771–92.
4. Gustavus IV, (Gustavus Adolphus) 1778–1837, king of Sweden 1792–1809 (son of Gustavus III).
5. Gustavus V (or Gus•taf or Gus•tav V) (ˈgʌs tɑv) 1858–1950, king of Sweden 1907–50.
6. Gustavus VI or Gustav VI, (Gustaf Adolf) 1882–1973, king of Sweden 1950–73 (son of Gustavus V).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Gustavus - the last king of Sweden to have any real political power (1882-1973)|
|2.||Gustavus - king of Sweden who kept Sweden neutral during both World War I and II (1858-1950)|
|3.||Gustavus - king of Sweden whose losses to Napoleon I led to his being deposed in 1809 (1778-1837)|
|4.||Gustavus - king of Sweden who increased the royal power and waged an unpopular war against Russia (1746-1792)|
|5.||Gustavus - king of Sweden whose victories in battle made Sweden a European power; his domestic reforms made Sweden a modern state; in 1630 he intervened on the Protestant side of the Thirty Years' War and was killed in the battle of Lutzen (1594-1632)|
|6.||Gustavus - king of Sweden who established Lutheranism as the state religion (1496-1560)|