gridlock(redirected from HEY2)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. A traffic jam in which no vehicular movement is possible, especially one caused by the blockage of key intersections within a grid of streets.
2. A complete lack of movement or progress resulting in a backup or stagnation: "the political gridlock that prevented ... the President and Congress from moving expeditiously to cut the budget" (Robert D. Hormats).
1. (Automotive Engineering) obstruction of urban traffic caused by queues of vehicles forming across junctions and causing further queues to form in the intersecting streets
2. a point in a dispute at which no agreement can be reached; deadlock: political gridlock.
(Automotive Engineering) (tr) (of traffic) to block or obstruct (an area)
1. a major traffic jam in which all vehicular movement comes to a stop because key intersections are blocked by traffic.
2. a complete stoppage of normal activity.v.t., v.i.
3. to cause or undergo a gridlock.
Past participle: gridlocked
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||gridlock - a traffic jam so bad that no movement is possible|