hacienda(redirected from Haciendas)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A large estate in a Spanish-speaking region.
2. The house of the owner of such an estate.
(in Spain or Spanish-speaking countries) n
a. a ranch or large estate
b. any substantial stock-raising, mining, or manufacturing establishment in the country
2. (Architecture) the main house on such a ranch or plantation
[C18: from Spanish, from Latin facienda things to be done, from facere to do]
ha•ci•en•da(ˌhɑ siˈɛn də)
n., pl. -das. (in Spanish America)
1. a large landed estate, esp. one used for farming or ranching.
2. the main house on such an estate.
[1710–20; < Sp]
A Spanish word for a large ranch or ranch-house.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hacienda - a large estate in Spanish-speaking countries|
hacienda - the main house on a ranch or large estate
|2.||hacienda - the main house on a ranch or large estate|
house - a dwelling that serves as living quarters for one or more families; "he has a house on Cape Cod"; "she felt she had to get out of the house"
hacienda - a large estate in Spanish-speaking countries