Hanover(redirected from Hannover's Museums)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
British ruling family (1714-1901) whose last monarch was Victoria (reigned 1837-1901).
Han·o·ver 2or Han·no·ver (hăn′ō′vər, hä-nō′-)
1. A former kingdom and province of northwest Germany. It was an electorate of the Holy Roman Empire from 1692 to 1805. The kingdom lasted from 1815 to 1866, when Hanover became a province of Prussia (later Germany).
2. A city of northwest Germany southeast of Bremen. Chartered in 1241, it became part of the Hanseatic League in 1386. Hanover was badly damaged during World War II but has been extensively rebuilt.
(Placename) the English spelling of Hannover
1. (Biography) a princely house of Germany (1692–1815), the head of which succeeded to the British throne as George I in 1714
2. (Biography) the royal house of Britain (1714–1901)
Han•o•ver(ˈhæn oʊ vər)
1. a member of the royal family that ruled Great Britain under that name from 1714 to 1901.
2. a former province in NW Germany; now a district in Lower Saxony.
3. the capital of Lower Saxony, in N central Germany. 525,763.German, Han•no•ver (hɑˈnoʊ vər) (for defs. 2,3).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hanover - a port city in northwestern Germany; formerly a member of the Hanseatic League|
Hanseatic League - a commercial and defensive confederation of free cities in northern Germany and surrounding areas; formed in 1241 and most influential in the 14th century when it included over 100 towns and functioned as an independent political power; the last official assembly was held in 1669
|2.||Hanover - the English royal house that reigned from 1714 to 1901 (from George I to Victoria)|
dynasty - a sequence of powerful leaders in the same family
royal family, royal house, royal line, royalty - royal persons collectively; "the wedding was attended by royalty"
Hanoverian - a member (or supporter) of the house of Hanover
Hanoverian - any of the British rulers who were members of the House of Hanover
George I, George - Elector of Hanover and the first Hanoverian King of Great Britain and Ireland from 1714 to 1727 (1660-1727)
George III, George - King of Great Britain and Ireland from 1760 to 1820; the American colonies were lost during his reign; he became insane in 1811 and his son (later George IV) acted as regent until 1820 (1738-1820)
George IV, George - King of Great Britain and Ireland and Hanover from 1820 to 1830; his attempt to divorce his estranged wife undermined the prestige of the Crown (1762-1830)