hash(redirected from Hash total)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. A dish of chopped meat, potatoes, and sometimes vegetables, usually browned.
a. A jumble; a hodgepodge.
b. Informal A mess: made a hash of the project.
3. A reworking or restatement of already familiar material.
tr.v. hashed, hash·ing, hash·es
1. To chop into pieces; mince.
2. Informal To make a mess of; mangle.
3. Informal To discuss carefully; review: hash over future plans; hash out a solution.
[Variant of Middle English hache, from Old French, past participle of hacher, hachier, to chop up, from hache, axe, of Germanic origin; see hatchet.]
n. Chiefly British
The symbol (#); the pound sign.
1. (Cookery) a dish of diced cooked meat, vegetables, etc, reheated in a sauce
2. something mixed up
3. a reuse or rework of old material
4. make a hash of informal
a. to mix or mess up
b. to defeat or destroy
5. settle someone's hash fix someone's hash informal to subdue or silence someone
6. (Cookery) to chop into small pieces
7. to mix or mess up
[C17: from Old French hacher to chop up, from hache hatchet]
(Pharmacology) slang short for hashish
1. the character (#) used to precede a number
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) this sign used in printing or writing to indicate that a space should be inserted
1. diced cooked meat and potatoes or other vegetables browned together or reheated in gravy.
2. a mess, jumble, or muddle.
3. a reworking of old and familiar material.v.t.
4. to chop into small pieces; make into hash; mince.
5. to muddle or mess up.
6. to discuss or review (something) thoroughly (often fol. by out or over).Idioms:
make a hash of, to spoil or botch.
[1645–55; < French hacher to cut up, derivative of hache ax, hatchet]
[1955–60; by shortening]
Hasha medley; a spoiled mixture; a meat dish.
Examples: hash of absurdity, 1795; of plain repetition, 1672; of tongues, 1735; of my own words, 1860.
Past participle: hashed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hash - chopped meat mixed with potatoes and browned|
dish - a particular item of prepared food; "she prepared a special dish for dinner"
corned beef hash - hash made with corned beef
|2.||hash - purified resinous extract of the hemp plant; used as a hallucinogen|
soft drug - a drug of abuse that is considered relatively mild and not likely to cause addiction
|Verb||1.||hash - chop up; "hash the potatoes"|
1. (Culin) → picadillo m
B. CPD hash browns NPL croquetas de patata hervida y cebolla
hash2 [hæʃ] N (= hashish) → hachís m, chocolate m (Sp), mota f (CAm)
hash3 [hæʃ] N (Typ) → almohadilla f
(Cook) → Haschee nt
(fig: = mess) → Durcheinander nt, → Kuddelmuddel m (inf); (= bad work) → Pfusch m (inf), → Pfuscherei f (inf); to make a hash of something → etw verpfuschen or vermasseln (inf)
(inf: = hashish) → Hasch nt (inf)
vt (Cook) → hacken
hash brown potatoes
pl (esp US) = hash browns
pl (esp US) ˜ Rösti mit Zwiebeln, → ˜ Kartoffelpuffer pl