countertenor(redirected from Hautcontre)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An adult male voice with a range above that of tenor.
2. A singer having a voice within this range.
1. (Music, other) an adult male voice with an alto range
2. (Music, other) a singer with such a voice
coun•ter•ten•or(ˈkaʊn tərˌtɛn ər)
1. a tenor who can approximate the vocal range of a female alto without resort to falsetto.
2. a voice part for a countertenor.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||countertenor - a male singer with a voice above that of a tenor|
alto - a singer whose voice lies in the alto clef
|2.||countertenor - the highest adult male singing voice|
singing voice - the musical quality of the voice while singing
|Adj.||1.||countertenor - of or being the highest male voice; having a range above that of tenor|