Armenia(redirected from Hayastani Hanrapetutyun)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A region and former kingdom of western Asia that included present-day Armenia and parts of northeast Turkey and northwest Iran. Established c. 600 bc, it was probably the first state to adopt Christianity as a national religion (c. ad 303). In the fourth and fifth centuries Armenia was subsumed by the Roman and Persian empires.
2. A country of western Asia east of Turkey and north of Iran. Acquired by Russia from Persia in 1828, it became a Soviet republic in 1920 and was a part of the USSR from 1922 to 1991. Yerevan is the capital.
3. A city of west-central Colombia west of Bogotá. It is an industrial center and transportation hub.
1. (Placename) a republic in NW Asia: originally part of the historic Armenian kingdom; acquired by Russia in 1828; became the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic in 1936; gained independence in 1991. It is mountainous, rising over 4000 m (13 000 ft). Language: Armenian. Religion: Christian (Armenian Apostolic) majority. Currency: dram. Capital: Yerevan. Pop: Pop: 2 974 184 (2013 est). Area: 29 800 sq km (11 490 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a former kingdom in W Asia, between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, south of Georgia
3. (Historical Terms) a former kingdom in W Asia, between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, south of Georgia
4. (Placename) a town in central Colombia: centre of a coffee-growing district. Pop: 349 000 (2005 est)
Ar•me•ni•a(ɑrˈmi ni ə, -ˈmin yə)
1. an ancient country in W Asia: now divided between Armenia, Turkey, and Iran.
2. Also, Arme′nian Repub′lic. a republic in Transcaucasia, S of Georgia and W of Azerbaijan: a former constituent republic of the U.S.S.R. 3,409,234; ab. 11,490 sq. mi. (29,759 sq. km). Cap.: Yerevan. Former official name, Arme′nian So′viet So′cialist Repub′lic.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Armenia - a landlocked republic in southwestern Asia; formerly an Asian soviet; modern Armenia is but a fragment of ancient Armenia which was one of the world's oldest civilizations; throughout 2500 years the Armenian people have been invaded and oppressed by their neighbors|
3rd October Organization, Armenian Secret Army for the Liberation of Armenia, ASALA, Orly Group - a militant Marxist-Leninist terrorist organization formed in 1975 to force Turkey to acknowledge killing more than a million Armenians and forcibly removing them from border areas in 1915; wants Turkey to pay reparations and cede territory to Armenia; "ASALA bombing at Orly Airport in Paris in 1983 killed 8 and wounded 55 people"
Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church, Armenian Church - an independent Christian church established in Armenia since 300; was influenced by both Roman and Byzantine traditions
CIS, Commonwealth of Independent States - an alliance made up of states that had been Soviet Socialist Republics in the Soviet Union prior to its dissolution in Dec 1991
Transcaucasia - a geographical region to the south of the Caucasus Mountains and to the north of Turkey that comprises Georgia and Armenia and Azerbaijan
Aras, Araxes - a river that rises in northeastern Turkey (near the source of the Euphrates) and flows generally eastward through Armenia to the Caspian Sea; ancient name was Araxes
Armenian - a native or inhabitant of Armenia
Armenia[ɑːˈmiːnɪə] N → Armenia f
Armenia[ɑːrˈmiːniə] n → Arménie f
n → Armenien nt