Heliopolis(redirected from Heliópolis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An ancient city of northern Egypt in the Nile River delta north of modern Cairo. It was the center of worship of the sun god Ra until the rise of Thebes (c. 2100 bc). Its importance as a historical repository with famed schools of philosophy and astronomy declined after the founding of Alexandria in the fourth century bc. Two of its obelisks, both known as Cleopatra's Needle, are now in London and in New York City's Central Park.
2. See Baalbek.
1. (Placename) (in ancient Egypt) a city near the apex of the Nile delta: a centre of sun worship. Ancient Egyptian name: On
2. (Placename) the Ancient Greek name for Baalbek
He•li•op•o•lis(ˌhi liˈɒp ə lɪs)
1. Biblical name, On. an ancient ruined city in N Egypt, on the Nile delta.
2. ancient Greek name of Baalbek.