Hellene(redirected from Hellenes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Hel·lene(hĕl′ēn′) also Hel·le·ni·an (hĕ-lē′nē-ən)
(Peoples) another name for a Greek
1. of or pertaining to Greece, the Greeks, or their language.
2. pertaining to the Greek Orthodox Church.n.
3. a native or inhabitant of Greece.
4. the Indo-European language of the Greeks. Abbr.: Gk
5. Informal. anything unintelligible, as speech, writing, etc.: This contract is Greek to me.
6. a member of the Greek Orthodox Church.
7. a person who belongs to a Greek-letter fraternity or sorority.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English Grēcas (pl.) < Latin Graecī the Greeks (nominative pl. of Graecus) < Greek Graikoí, pl. of Graikós Greek]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hellene - a native or inhabitant of Greece|
Ellas, Greece, Hellenic Republic - a republic in southeastern Europe on the southern part of the Balkan peninsula; known for grapes and olives and olive oil
European - a native or inhabitant of Europe
Dorian - a member of one of four linguistic divisions of the prehistoric Greeks
Ionian - a member of one of four linguistic divisions of the prehistoric Greeks
Athenian - a resident of Athens
Corinthian - a resident of Corinth
Laconian - a resident of Laconia
Lesbian - a resident of Lesbos
Spartan - a resident of Sparta
Arcadian - an inhabitant of Arcadia
Theban - a Greek inhabitant of ancient Thebes
Argive - a native or inhabitant of the city of Argos
Ephesian - a resident of the ancient Greek city of Ephesus
Mycenaen - a native or inhabitant of ancient Mycenae
Thessalian - a native or inhabitant of Thessaly
Thessalonian - a native or inhabitant of Thessalonica