mehndi(redirected from Henna tattoo)
Also found in: Medical.
1. The application of henna paste in intricate designs to decorate the body, often for wedding celebrations and other festive occasions in South Asia, the Middle East, and North Africa.
2. Decoration on the body made by mehndi.
[Hindi meṃhdī and Urdu menhdī, henna; akin to late Sanskrit mendhī, mendhīkā, of unknown origin.]
1. (Art Terms) (esp in India) the practice of painting designs on the hands, feet, etc using henna
2. (Hairdressing & Grooming) (esp in India) the practice of painting designs on the hands, feet, etc using henna
[C20: from Hindi]
1. the art or practice of painting elaborate patterns on the skin with henna.
2. a design or designs so made.
[1995–2000; < Hindi < Skt mendī the henna plant]