Hessian(redirected from Hessian of a function)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Of or relating to Hesse or its inhabitants.
1. A native or inhabitant of Hesse.
2. A German mercenary in the British army in America during the Revolutionary War.
3. A mercenary soldier.
(Textiles) a coarse jute fabric similar to sacking, used for bags, upholstery, etc
[C18: from Hesse + -ian]
1. (Placename) a native or inhabitant of Hesse
2. (Historical Terms)
a. a Hessian soldier in any of the mercenary units of the British Army in the War of American Independence or the Napoleonic Wars
b. US any German mercenary in the British Army during the War of American Independence
3. (Military) chiefly US a mercenary or ruffian
4. (Peoples) of or relating to Hesse or its inhabitants
5. (Placename) of or relating to Hesse or its inhabitants
1. of or pertaining to Hesse or its inhabitants.n.
2. a native or inhabitant of Hesse.
3. a Hessian mercenary used by England during the American Revolution.
4. a hireling or ruffian.
5. (l.c.) Chiefly Brit. burlap.