heteromorphic(redirected from Heteromorph)
Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Having different forms at different periods of the life cycle, as in stages of insect metamorphosis.
2. Differing from the standard form in size or structure: heteromorphic chromosome pairs.
1. (Biology) differing from the normal form in size, shape, and function
2. (Biology) (of pairs of homologous chromosomes) differing from each other in size or form
3. (Biology) (esp of insects) having different forms at different stages of the life cycle
ˌheteroˈmorphism, ˌheteroˈmorphy n
het•er•o•mor•phic(ˌhɛt ər əˈmɔr fɪk)
1. Biol. dissimilar in shape, structure, or magnitude.
2. Entomol. undergoing complete metamorphosis; possessing varying forms.
het`er•o•mor′phism, het′er•o•mor`phy, n.