Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Hindustani: Hindustani language
A group of Indic dialects including the spoken form of Hindi-Urdu that function as a lingua franca throughout much of northern and central India.
Of or relating to Hindustan, its people, or the Hindustani language.
1. (Languages) the dialect of Hindi spoken in Delhi: used as a lingua franca throughout India
2. (Languages) a group of languages or dialects consisting of all spoken forms of Hindi and Urdu considered together
3. (Languages) of or relating to these languages or Hindustan
4. (Peoples) of or relating to these languages or Hindustan
5. (Placename) of or relating to these languages or Hindustan
Hin•du•sta•ni(ˌhɪn dʊˈstɑ ni, -ˈstæn i)
1. a standardized form of the Hindi language based on the speech of the Delhi region.adj.
2. of or pertaining to Hindustan, its people, or their languages.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hindustani - a native or inhabitant of Hindustan or India|
Hindustan - northern region of India where Hinduism predominates
brahman, brahmin - a member of the highest of the four Hindu varnas; "originally all brahmans were priests"
Kshatriya - a member of the royal or warrior Hindu caste
Vaisya - a member of the mercantile and professional Hindu caste; the third of the four main castes
|2.||Hindustani - a form of Hindi spoken around Delhi|
Hindi - the most widely spoken of modern Indic vernaculars; spoken mostly in the north of India; along with English it is the official language of India; usually written in Devanagari script
|Adj.||1.||Hindustani - of or relating to or characteristic of Hindustan or its people or language|