Hindustan(redirected from Historical Hindustan)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A historical region of India considered at various times to include only the upper Ganges River plateau or all of northern India from the Himalaya Mountains to the Deccan Plateau and from the Punjab to Assam. The term has also been applied to the entire Indian subcontinent.
1. (Placename) the land of the Hindus, esp India north of the Deccan and excluding Bengal
2. (Placename) the general area around the Ganges where Hindi is the predominant language
3. (Hinduism) the areas of India where Hinduism predominates, as contrasted with those areas where Islam predominates
Hin•du•stan(ˌhɪn dʊˈstɑn, -ˈstæn)
1. a region of N India, esp. the part N of the Deccan.
2. the predominantly Hindu areas of India, as contrasted with the predominantly Muslim areas of Pakistan.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hindustan - northern region of India where Hinduism predominates|
Bharat, India, Republic of India - a republic in the Asian subcontinent in southern Asia; second most populous country in the world; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1947