hod(redirected from Hod (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A trough carried over the shoulder for transporting loads, as of bricks or mortar.
2. A coal scuttle.
3. A rectangular basket with sides made of wood slats or wire mesh, traditionally used by clammers to carry their catch.
[Perhaps alteration of dialectal hot, from Middle English, pannier, from Old French hotte, of Germanic origin.]
1. (Building) an open metal or plastic box fitted with a handle, for carrying bricks, mortar, etc
2. (Furniture) a tall narrow coal scuttle
[C14: perhaps alteration of C13 dialect hot, from Old French hotte pannier, creel, probably from Germanic]
1. a trough fixed crosswise on top of a pole held against the shoulder and used for carrying bricks, mortar, etc.
2. a coal scuttle.
[1565–75; perhaps later variant of Middle English hot basket for carrying earth]