Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Hopi or Ho·pis
1. A member of a Pueblo people occupying a number of mesa-top pueblos on reservation land in northeast Arizona. The Hopi are noted for their dry-farming techniques, rich ceremonial life, and craftsmanship in basketry, pottery, silverwork, and weaving.
2. The Uto-Aztecan language of the Hopi.
[Hopi hópi, peaceable, a Hopi.]
npl -pis or -pi
1. (Peoples) a member of a North American Indian people of NE Arizona
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Shoshonean subfamily of the Uto-Aztecan family
[from Hopi Hópi peaceful]
n., pl. -pis, (esp. collectively) -pi.
1. a member of a Pueblo Indian people of NE Arizona.
2. the Uto-Aztecan language of the Hopi.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hopi - a member of the Shoshonean people of northeastern Arizona|
Pueblo - a member of any of about two dozen Native American peoples called `Pueblos' by the Spanish because they live in pueblos (villages built of adobe and rock)
|2.||Hopi - the Shoshonean language spoken by the Hopi|