galligaskins(redirected from Hose (clothing))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
1. Loosely fitting hose or breeches worn in the 1500s and 1600s.
2. Loose trousers.
3. Chiefly British Leggings.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) loose wide breeches or hose, esp as worn by men in the 17th century
2. (Clothing & Fashion) leather leggings, as worn in the 19th century
[C16: from obsolete French garguesques, from Italian grechesco Greek, from Latin Graecus]
gal•li•gas•kins(ˌgæl ɪˈgæs kɪnz)
n. (used with a pl. v.)
1. loose hose or breeches worn in the 16th and 17th centuries.
2. any loose breeches.
3. leggings or gaiters, usu. of leather.
[1570–80; orig. uncertain]