Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of central Vietnam near the South China Sea northwest of Da Nang. An ancient Annamese city probably dating from the third century ad, it was nearly destroyed during heavy fighting in the Vietnam War but has since been rebuilt.
n. pl. hues
1. The property of colors by which they can be perceived as ranging from red through yellow, green, blue, and violet, as determined by the dominant wavelengths of the light being reflected, transmitted, or emitted. See Table at color.
2. A particular gradation of color; a shade or tint.
3. Color: all the hues of the rainbow.
4. Appearance; aspect: a man of somber hue.
[Middle English hewe, color, appearance, from Old English hīw, hēo.]
1. (General Physics) the attribute of colour that enables an observer to classify it as red, green, blue, purple, etc, and excludes white, black, and shades of grey. See also colour
2. (Colours) a shade of a colour
3. aspect; complexion: a different hue on matters.
[Old English hīw beauty; related to Old Norse hӯ fine hair, Gothic hiwi form]
(Placename) a port in central Vietnam, on the delta of the Hué River near the South China Sea: former capital of the kingdom of Annam, of French Indochina (1883–1946), and of Central Vietnam (1946–54). Pop: 377 000 (2005 est)
1. a gradation or variety of a color; tint: pale hues.
2. the property of light by which the color of an object is classified as red, blue, green, or yellow in reference to the spectrum.
3. color: all the hues of the rainbow.
4. form or appearance.
[before 900; Middle English hewe, Old English hīw form, appearance, color; c. Old Norse hȳ bird's down, Swedish hy skin, complexion, Gothic hiwi form, appearance; akin to Old English hār gray]
a seaport in central Vietnam: former capital of Annam. 260,489.
The property of colors by which they are seen as ranging from red through yellow, green, and blue, as determined by the dominant wavelength of the light. See more at color.
- value, chroma, hue - A color's value is its brightness, its chroma is its strength, and its hue is its position in the spectrum.
- tone - A color variation with more variations than a shade—having to do with the value (brightness) of a hue (position in the spectrum) or its chroma (saturation or purity).
- Munsell - A.H. Munsell was a U.S. painter (1858-1918) who developed a color classification system for chroma (saturation or purity), hue (position in the spectrum), and value (brightness).
- pure color - A color or hue that is unmixed with other hues.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||hue - the quality of a color as determined by its dominant wavelength|
color property - an attribute of color
|Verb||1.||hue - take on color or become colored; "In highlights it hued to a dull silver-grey"|
alter, change, modify - cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"
pigment - acquire pigment; become colored or imbued
|2.||hue - suffuse with color|
1. The property by which the sense of vision can distinguish between objects, as a red apple and a green apple, that are very similar or identical in form and size:
2. The degree of vividness of a color, as when modified by the addition of black or white pigment:
colour. flowers of many hues. skakering لَوْن цвят matiz zabarvení die Farbe farve απόχρωσηcolor; matiz värvus رنگ värisävy teinteצבע, גוון विविध रंग boja, nijansa (szín)árnyalat warna blær, litbrigði colore, tonalità 色 색조 spalva, atspalvis krāsa warna kleur fargetone/-nyanse barwa رنګ matiz nuanţă оттенок farba, odtieň odtenek boja färgton, nyans สี renk 顏色 відтінок, колір رنگ màu; sắc thái 颜色