Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Hughes(hyo͞oz), Charles Evans 1862-1948.
American jurist and politician who was appointed an associate justice of the US Supreme Court (1910) but resigned to make an unsuccessful bid for the presidency (1916). He served as secretary of state (1921-1925) and later as the chief justice of the Supreme Court (1930-1941).
Hughes, Howard Robard 1905-1976.
American film producer, aviator, and multimillionaire. He founded Hughes Aircraft Corporation, broke the airplane speed record (1935), and flew around the world in record time (1938).
Hughes, Ted Full name Edward James Hughes. 1930-1998.
British poet who served as poet laureate from 1984 to 1998. His work is noted for its symbolism, passion, and dark natural imagery.
1. (Biography) Howard. 1905–76, US industrialist, aviator, and film producer. He became a total recluse during the last years of his life
2. (Biography) (James Mercer) Langston. 1902–67, US Black poet and writer. His collections include The Weary Blues (1926) and The Panther and the Lash (1967)
3. (Biography) Richard (Arthur Warren). 1900–76, British novelist. He wrote A High Wind in Jamaica (1929), In Hazard (1938), and The Fox in the Attic (1961)
4. (Biography) Robert (Studley Forrest). 1938–2012, Australian art critic, writer, and broadcaster; his work includes the television series The Shock of the New (1981) and the book The Culture of Complaint (1993)
5. (Biography) Ted, full name Edward James Hughes. 1930–98, British poet: his works include The Hawk in the Rain (1957), Crow (1970), and Birthday Letters (1998). Poet laureate (1984–98)
6. (Biography) Thomas. 1822–96, British novelist; author of Tom Brown's Schooldays (1857)
7. (Biography) William Morris. 1864–1952, Australian statesman, born in England: prime minister of Australia (1915–23)
1. Charles Evans, 1862–1948, Chief Justice of the U.S. 1930–41.
2. Howard (Robard), 1905–76, U.S. businessman.
3. (James) Langston, 1902–67, U.S. novelist and poet.
4. Ted, 1930–98, English poet: poet laureate 1984–98.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Hughes - English poet (born in 1930)|
|2.||Hughes - United States writer (1902-1967)|
|3.||Hughes - United States industrialist who was an aviator and a film producer; during the last years of his life he was a total recluse (1905-1976)|
|4.||Hughes - United States jurist who served as chief justice of the United States Supreme Court (1862-1948)|