FTP(redirected from Internet protocols)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
FTPor ftp (ĕf′tē-pē′)
A communications protocol governing the transfer of files from one computer to another over a network.
v. FTPed, FTP·ing, FTPs
To transfer (a file) using FTP.
To transfer a file using FTP.
[F(ile) T(ransfer) P(rotocol) (also styled file transfer protocol).]
1. (Communications & Information) file transfer protocol; the standard protocol used to transfer files across the internet, or a similar network, between computer systems
2. (Communications & Information) the program implementing this
(Communications & Information) (tr) to transfer (a file) in this way
n., v. FTPed, FTP•ing. n.
1. File Transfer Protocol: a software protocol for exchanging information between computers over a network.
2. any program that implements this protocol.v.t.
3. (often l.c.) to send (files) to or receive (files) from a remote computer via FTP.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||FTP - protocol that allows users to copy files between their local system and any system they can reach on the network|
computer science, computing - the branch of engineering science that studies (with the aid of computers) computable processes and structures
communications protocol, protocol - (computer science) rules determining the format and transmission of data
|Verb||1.||FTP - use the file transfer protocol to transfer data from one computer to another; "You can FTP these data"|
transfer - move from one place to another; "transfer the data"; "transmit the news"; "transfer the patient to another hospital"