isometric(redirected from Isometric (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
adj. also i′so·met′ri·cal (-rĭ-kəl)
1. Of or exhibiting equality in dimensions or measurements.
2. Of or being a crystal system of three equal axes lying at right angles to each other.
3. Physiology Of or involving muscular contraction against resistance in which the length of the muscle remains the same.
A line connecting isometric points.
[From Greek īsometros, of equal measure : īso-, iso- + metron, measure; see mē- in Indo-European roots.]
1. having equal dimensions or measurements
2. (Physiology) physiol of or relating to muscular contraction that does not produce shortening of the muscle
3. (General Physics) (of a crystal or system of crystallization) having three mutually perpendicular equal axes
4. (Chemistry) crystallog another word for cubic4
5. (Poetry) prosody having or made up of regular feet
6. (General Engineering) (of a method of projecting a drawing in three dimensions) having the three axes equally inclined and all lines drawn to scale
7. (General Engineering) Also called: isometric drawing a drawing made in this way
8. (General Physics) Also called: isometric line a line on a graph showing variations of pressure with temperature at constant volume
[C19: from Greek isometria (see iso- + -metry) + -ic]
i•so•met•ric(ˌaɪ səˈmɛ trɪk)
adj. Also, i`so•met′ri•cal.
1. of, pertaining to, or having equality of measure.
2. of or pertaining to isometric exercise.
3. noting or pertaining to a system of crystallization that is characterized by three equal axes at right angles to one another.
4. designating a method of projection (isomet′ric projec′tion) in which a three-dimensional object is represented by a drawing (i′somet′ric draw′ing) having the horizontal edges of the object drawn usu. at a 30° angle and all verticals projected perpendicularly from a horizontal base.n.
5. isometrics, isometric exercise (def. 1).
6. an isometric drawing.
isometric- From Latin isus, "equal," and -metria, "measuring."
See also related terms for measuring.
Describes contraction that increases the internal tension in a muscle without shortening it.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||isometric - a line connecting isometric points |
line - a mark that is long relative to its width; "He drew a line on the chart"
|Adj.||1.||isometric - related by an isometry|
|2.||isometric - of or involving muscular contraction in which tension increases while length remains constant|
physiology - the branch of the biological sciences dealing with the functioning of organisms
isotonic - of or involving muscular contraction in which tension is constant while length changes
|3.||isometric - having equal dimensions or measurements|
equal - having the same quantity, value, or measure as another; "on equal terms"; "all men are equal before the law"
|4.||isometric - of a crystal system characterized by three equal axes at right angles|
crystallography - the branch of science that studies the formation and structure of crystals