Jacob's ladder(redirected from Jacob's Ladder (song))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Nautical A rope or chain ladder with rigid rungs.
2. Any of various plants of the genus Polemonium, especially P. caeruleum, having bell-shaped usually blue flowers and alternate, pinnately compound leaves with numerous leaflets.
[From the ladder seen by the biblical patriarch Jacob in a dream (Genesis 28:12).]
1. (Bible) Old Testament the ladder reaching up to heaven that Jacob saw in a dream (Genesis 28:12–17)
2. (Nautical Terms) Also called: jack ladder a ladder made of wooden or metal steps supported by ropes or chains
3. (Plants) a North American polemoniaceous plant, Polemonium caeruleum, with blue flowers and a ladder-like arrangement of leaves
4. (Plants) any of several similar or related plants
1. a ladder seen by Jacob in a dream, reaching from the earth to heaven. Gen. 28:12.
2. Naut. a hanging ladder having ropes or chains supporting rungs or steps.
any plant of the genus Polemonium, of the phlox family, with cup-shaped blue flowers and paired leaflets in a ladderlike arrangement.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Jacob's ladder - pinnate-leaved European perennial having bright blue or white flowers|
Polemonium caeruleum, Polemonium van-bruntiae, Polymonium caeruleum van-bruntiae, Greek valerian, charity
polemonium - any plant of the genus Polemonium; most are low-growing often foul-smelling plants of temperate to Arctic regions
|2.||Jacob's ladder - (nautical) a hanging ladder of ropes or chains supporting wooden or metal rungs or steps|
ladder - steps consisting of two parallel members connected by rungs; for climbing up or down