jasmine(redirected from Jasmine tea)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Jasmine tea: green tea, Oolong tea
jas·mine(jăz′mĭn) also jes·sa·mine (jĕs′ə-mĭn)
a. Any of several vines or shrubs of the genus Jasminum, native chiefly to Asia and having usually compound leaves and white or yellow flowers. Some of the fragrant species are used in making perfume.
b. The perfume obtained from these plants.
2. See yellow jessamine.
3. Any of several plants or shrubs having fragrant flowers.
4. A light to brilliant yellow.
[French jasmin, from Old French jassemin, from Arabic yasmīn, from Persian yasmīn, yāsman, from Middle Persian yāsman.]
1. (Plants) Also called: jessamine any oleaceous shrub or climbing plant of the tropical and subtropical genus Jasminum, esp J. officinalis: widely cultivated for their white, yellow, or red fragrant flowers, which are used in making perfume and in flavouring tea. See also winter jasmine
2. (Plants) any of several other fragrant shrubs with fragrant flowers, such as the Cape jasmine, yellow jasmine, and frangipani (red jasmine)
3. (Colours) a light to moderate yellow colour
[C16: from Old French jasmin, from Arabic yāsamīn, from Persian yāsmīn]
jas•mine(ˈdʒæz mɪn, ˈdʒæs-)
1. any of numerous shrubs or vines belonging to the genus Jasminum, of the olive family, having fragrant flowers used in perfumes and teas.
2. any of several other plants.
3. a pale yellow color.
[1555–65; < Middle French jasmin, variant of jassemin < Arabic yās(a)mīn < Persian yāsman, yāsmin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jasmine - any of several shrubs and vines of the genus Jasminum chiefly native to Asia|
genus Jasminum, Jasminum - shrubs and woody climbers mostly of tropical and temperate Old World: jasmine; jessamine
Jasminum nudiflorum, winter jasmine - deciduous rambling shrub widely cultivated for its winter-blooming yellow flowers
common jasmine, Jasminum officinale, jessamine, true jasmine - a climbing deciduous shrub with fragrant white or yellow or red flowers used in perfume and to flavor tea
Arabian jasmine, Jasminum sambac - East Indian evergreen vine cultivated for its profuse fragrant white flowers