jaws(redirected from Jaws (disambiguation))
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
a. Either of two bony or cartilaginous structures that in most vertebrates form the framework of the mouth and hold the teeth.
b. The mandible or maxilla or the part of the face covering these bones.
c. Any of various structures of invertebrates that have an analogous function to vertebrate jaws.
2. Either of two opposed hinged parts in a mechanical device.
3. jaws The walls of a pass, canyon, or cavern.
4. jaws A dangerous situation or confrontation: the jaws of death.
a. Impudent argument or back talk: Don't give me any jaw.
b. A conversation or chat.
intr.v. jawed, jaw·ing, jaws Slang
1. To talk vociferously; jabber.
2. To talk; converse.
[Middle English jawe, jowe, perhaps from Old French joue, cheek.]
1. (Physical Geography) the narrow opening of some confined place such as a gorge
2. the jaws a dangerously close position: the jaws of death.