Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A North American sunflower (Helianthus tuberosus) having yellow, rayed flower heads and edible tubers.
2. The tuber of this plant. Also called sunchoke; In both senses also called girasol.
[By folk etymology from Italian girasole, sunflower; see girasol.]
1. (Plants) a North American sunflower, Helianthus tuberosus, widely cultivated for its underground edible tubers
2. (Plants) the tuber of this plant, which is cooked and eaten as a vegetable
[C17: by folk etymology from Italian girasole articiocco; see girasol]
1. a sunflower, Helianthus tuberosus, having edible, tuberous underground rootstocks.
2. the tuber itself.
[1635–45; alter., by folk etym., of Italian girasole sunflower. See girasol]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Jerusalem artichoke - edible tuber of the Jerusalem artichoke|
Helianthus tuberosus, Jerusalem artichoke sunflower, girasol, Jerusalem artichoke - tall perennial with hairy stems and leaves; widely cultivated for its large irregular edible tubers
tuber - a fleshy underground stem or root serving for reproductive and food storage
|2.||Jerusalem artichoke - tall perennial with hairy stems and leaves; widely cultivated for its large irregular edible tubers|
helianthus, sunflower - any plant of the genus Helianthus having large flower heads with dark disk florets and showy yellow rays
Jerusalem artichoke - edible tuber of the Jerusalem artichoke
|3.||Jerusalem artichoke - sunflower tuber eaten raw or boiled or sliced thin and fried as Saratoga chips|
root vegetable - any of various fleshy edible underground roots or tubers