Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Used as a name in legal proceedings to designate an unknown man or boy or to protect the identity of a known man or boy.
2. An average or ordinary man.
(Law) See Doe
1. an anonymous, average man.
2. a fictitious name used in legal proceedings for a male party whose true name is not known. Compare Jane Doe, Richard Roe.
3. an unidentified man: The police were looking for a John Doe.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||John Doe - a hypothetical average man|
|2.||John Doe - an unknown or fictitious man who is a party to legal proceedings|
law, jurisprudence - the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
party - a person involved in legal proceedings; "the party of the first part"