leonine(redirected from Léonin)
Also found in: Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a lion.
2. Resembling or suggestive of a lion, as in being powerful or dignified.
[Middle English, from Old French leonin, from Latin leōnīnus, from leō, leōn-, lion; see lion.]
(Zoology) of, characteristic of, or resembling a lion
[C14: from Latin leōnīnus, from leō lion]
1. (Roman Catholic Church) connected with one of the popes called Leo
2. (Placename) Leonine City a district of Rome on the right bank of the Tiber fortified by Pope Leo IV
3. (Roman Catholic Church) of or relating to certain prayers in the Mass prescribed by Pope Leo XIII
a. a type of medieval hexameter or elegiac verse having internal rhyme
b. a type of English verse with internal rhyme
1. of or pertaining to a lion.
2. resembling or suggestiveof a lion.
3. (cap.) of or pertaining to any of the popes named Leo.
|Adj.||1.||leonine - of or characteristic of or resembling a lion|