Lazarus(redirected from Lazarus sign)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to Lazarus sign: Lazarus Movement
In the New Testament, the man whom Jesus miraculously raised from the dead in the village of Bethany.
1. (Bible) the brother of Mary and Martha, whom Jesus restored to life (John 11–12)
2. (Bible) the beggar who lay at the gate of the rich man Dives in Jesus' parable (Luke 16:19–31)
Laz•a•rus(ˈlæz ər əs)
1. the diseased beggar in the parable of the rich man and the beggar. Luke 16:19–31.
2. a brother of Mary and Martha whom Jesus raised from the dead. John 11:1–44; 12:1–18.
3. Emma, 1849–87, U.S. poet.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Lazarus - the person who Jesus raised from the dead after four days in the tomb; this miracle caused the enemies of Jesus to begin the plan to put him to death|
|2.||Lazarus - the diseased beggar in Jesus' parable of the rich man and the beggar|