|Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary|
5,184,173,430 visitors served.
|Also found in: Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia||0.01 sec.|
1. (Placename) a city in central England, in Leicester unitary authority, on the River Soar: administrative centre of Leicestershire: Roman remains and a ruined Norman castle; two universities (1957, 1992); light engineering, hosiery, and footwear industries. Pop.: 293 400 (1994 est.)
2. (Placename) a unitary authority in central England, in Leicestershire. Pop.: 279 923 (2001). Area: 73 sq. km (28 sq. miles)
3. (Placename) short for Leicestershire
4. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Breeds) a breed of sheep with long wool, originally from Leicestershire
5. (Cookery) a fairly mild dark orange whole-milk cheese, similar to Cheddar
(Biographies / Leicester, Earl of (?1532-1588) M, English, MISC: courtier, MILITARY: soldier) Earl of. title of Robert Dudley. ?1532-88, English courtier; favourite of Elizabeth I. He led an unsuccessful expedition to the Netherlands (1585-87)
Leices•ter (ˈlɛs tər)
1. 1st Earl of, Dudley, Robert.
2. a city in Leicestershire, in central England. 293,400.
4. one of an English breed of large sheep, noted for its coarse, long wool and large yield of mutton.
Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, add the site to iGoogle, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
|Mentioned in||?||References in classic literature||?||Dictionary browser||?||Full browser||?|
Baron Snow of Leicester
C. P. Snow
Charles Percy Snow
Earl of Leicester
Simon de Montfort
Sir Leicester Dedlock is only a baronet, but there is no mightier baronet than he.
and the King left the apartment followed by his gentlemen, all of whom had drawn away from the Earl of Leicester when it became apparent that the royal displeasure was strong against him.
Next, after a year or two with his kinspeople in Lancashire, in the North of England, he came to London, hoping through literature to win high political place, and attached himself to the household of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, Queen Elizabeth's worthless favorite.
Leibniz, Gottfried Wilhelm
Leibniz, Gottfried Wilhelm Von
Leibniz, Gottfried Wilhelm, Baron von
Leibniz, Gottfried Wilhelm, Freiherr von Leibniz
Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
Leibstandarte Schutzstaffel Adolf Hitler
Leica Gallery Prague
Leica Historical Society of America
Leica Machine Guidance System
Leica Photogrammetry Suite
Leica Screw Mount
Leica Thread Mount
Leica Virtual Explorer
LeicesterLeicester Adult Education College
Leicester African Caribbean Arts Forum
Leicester and Leicestershire Animal Aid Association
Leicester Athletic Football Club
Leicester Church Music Consort
Leicester city football club
Leicester City Ladies Football Club
Leicester City Primary Care Trust
Leicester Community Music Project
Leicester Complementary Schools Trust
Leicester Cough Questionnaire
Leicester Database and Archive Service
Leicester English Grammar Project
Leicester Environmental Road Tolling Scheme
Leicester Federation of Tenants Associations
Leicester General Hospital
Leicester High School
Leicester Institute of Lifelong Learning
Leicester Intravenous Magnesium Intervention II Trial
Leicester Intravenous Magnesium Intervention Trial
Leicester Islamic Academy
Leicester Lambretta Racing Team
Leicester Masaya Link Group
|Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Translations|
Free toolbar & extensions |
Word of the Day |
For webmasters: Free content | Linking | Lookup box | Double-click lookup