lineman(redirected from Lineman's handset)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A person employed to install or repair telephone, telegraph, or electric power lines. Also called linesman.
2. A person employed to inspect and repair railroad tracks.
3. Football A player positioned on the line of scrimmage near the ball.
n, pl -men
1. (Railways) another name for platelayer
2. (Professions) another name for platelayer
3. (Surveying) a person who does the chaining, taping, or marking of points for a surveyor
4. (Professions) a person who does the chaining, taping, or marking of points for a surveyor
5. Austral and NZ (formerly) the member of a beach life-saving team who controlled the line used to help drowning swimmers and surfers
6. (American Football) American football a member of the row of players who start each down positioned on either side of the line of scrimmage
7. US and Canadian another word for linesman2
n., pl. -men.
1. a person who installs or repairs telephone, telegraph, or other wires.
2. one of the players in the defensive line of a football team, as a center, guard, tackle, or end.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lineman - one of the players on the line of scrimmage|
snapper, center - (football) the person who plays center on the line of scrimmage and snaps the ball to the quarterback; "the center fumbled the handoff"
end - (football) the person who plays at one end of the line of scrimmage; "the end managed to hold onto the pass"
guard - the person who plays that position on a football team; "the left guard was injured on the play"
tackle - the person who plays that position on a football team; "the right tackle is a straight A student"
|2.||lineman - the surveyor who marks positions with a range pole|
surveyor - an engineer who determines the boundaries and elevations of land or structures
|3.||lineman - a person who installs or repairs electrical or telephone lines|
gaffer - an electrician responsible for lighting on a movie or tv set
|4.||lineman - (American football) the position of a player on a football team who is stationed on the line of scrimmage|
American football, American football game - a game played by two teams of 11 players on a rectangular field 100 yards long; teams try to get possession of the ball and advance it across the opponents goal line in a series of (running or passing) plays
position - (in team sports) the role assigned to an individual player; "what position does he play?"
center - (American football) the position of the player on the line of scrimmage who puts the ball in play; "it is a center's responsibility to get the football to the quarterback"
guard - (American football) a position on the line of scrimmage; "guards must be good blockers"
tackle - (American football) a position on the line of scrimmage; "it takes a big man to play tackle"
end - (American football) a position on the line of scrimmage; "no one wanted to play end"
linemen - the football players who line up on the line of scrimmage