phytochemical(redirected from List of foods high in phytonutrients)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. Of or relating to phytochemistry.
2. Of or relating to phytochemicals.
A nonnutritive bioactive plant substance, such as a flavonoid or carotenoid, considered to have a beneficial effect on human health. Also called phytonutrient.
1. (Chemistry) of or relating to phytochemistry or phytochemicals
2. (Botany) of or relating to phytochemistry or phytochemicals
3. (Chemistry) a chemical that occurs naturally in a plant
4. (Botany) a chemical that occurs naturally in a plant
phy•to•chem•i•cal(adj. ˌfaɪ təˈkɛm ɪ kəl; n. ˈfaɪ təˌkɛm-)
1. of or pertaining to phytochemistry or phytochemicals.n.
2. a chemical compound found in plants, believed to have health benefits in humans.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||phytochemical - a chemical substance obtained from plants that is biologically active but not nutritive|
carotenoid - any of a class of highly unsaturated yellow to red pigments occurring in plants and animals
chemical, chemical substance - material produced by or used in a reaction involving changes in atoms or molecules
flavonoid - any of a large class of plant pigments having a chemical structure based on or similar to flavone