Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Bible An angelic being who was cast from heaven as punishment for his rebellious pride. Lucifer is traditionally identified with Satan.
2. The planet Venus in its appearance as the morning star. Also called Phosphorus.
3. lucifer A friction match.
[Middle English, from Old English, morning star, Lucifer, from Latin Lūcifer, from lūcifer, light-bringer : lūx, lūc-, light; see leuk- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots + -fer, -fer.]
1. (Theology) the leader of the rebellion of the angels: usually identified with Satan
2. (Celestial Objects) the planet Venus when it rises as the morning star
[Old English, from Latin Lūcifer, light-bearer, from lūx light + ferre to bear]
a friction match: originally a trade name for a match manufactured in England in the 19th century
Lu•ci•fer(ˈlu sə fər)
1. a proud rebellious archangel, identified with Satan, who fell from heaven.
2. the planet Venus when appearing as the morning star.
3. (l.c.) Also called lu′cifer match`. match 1 (def. 1).
[before 1000; Middle English, Old English < Latin: morning star, literally, light-bringing =lūci-, comb. form of lūx light + -fer -fer]
Another name for the Devil.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Lucifer - (Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions) chief spirit of evil and adversary of God; tempter of mankind; master of Hell|
faith, religion, religious belief - a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality"
Mohammedanism, Muhammadanism, Muslimism, Islam, Islamism - the monotheistic religious system of Muslims founded in Arabia in the 7th century and based on the teachings of Muhammad as laid down in the Koran; "Islam is a complete way of life, not a Sunday religion"; "the term Muhammadanism is offensive to Muslims who believe that Allah, not Muhammad, founded their religion"
|2.||Lucifer - a planet (usually Venus) seen just before sunrise in the eastern sky|
major planet, planet - (astronomy) any of the nine large celestial bodies in the solar system that revolve around the sun and shine by reflected light; Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto in order of their proximity to the sun; viewed from the constellation Hercules, all the planets rotate around the sun in a counterclockwise direction
|3.||lucifer - lighter consisting of a thin piece of wood or cardboard tipped with combustible chemical; ignites with friction; "he always carries matches to light his pipe"; "as long you've a lucifer to light your fag"|
kitchen match - a wooden friction match that will light on any granular surface; useful to light wood or gas stoves
igniter, ignitor, lighter, light - a device for lighting or igniting fuel or charges or fires; "do you have a light?"
matchstick - a short thin stick of wood used in making matches
slow match - match or fuse made to burn slowly and evenly