maelstrom(redirected from Maelström)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to Maelström: maelstrom
1. A violent or turbulent situation: caught in the maelstrom of war.
2. A whirlpool of extraordinary size or violence.
1. (Physical Geography) a large powerful whirlpool
2. any turbulent confusion
[C17: from obsolete Dutch maelstroom, from malen to grind, whirl round + stroom stream]
(Placename) a strong tidal current in a restricted channel in the Lofoten Islands off the NW coast of Norway
1. a powerful whirlpool often hazardous to approach.
2. a tumultuous state of affairs.
3. (cap.) a powerful current off the NW coast of Norway.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||maelstrom - a powerful circular current of water (usually the result of conflicting tides)|
current, stream - a steady flow of a fluid (usually from natural causes); "the raft floated downstream on the current"; "he felt a stream of air"; "the hose ejected a stream of water"
Charybdis - (Greek mythology) a ship-devouring whirlpool lying on the other side of a narrow strait from Scylla